Monday, November 12, 2007

Internships, etc.

When I was on campus, I met with all of you, several others, lots of parents and many of my former students. That's my preface for saying that I didn't absorb every single thing said to me and need some more info:

1). Everybody needs to fill out the questionnaire I posted about film/tv/comics/sports, etc. After thanksgiving is when I start trolling for field trip opportunities and the more I know about each of you, the more I can tailor the trips, and our class in general.

2). Write short bios about yourself under your blog names. I want alums to know who you are, where you're from, etc. Someone might be from the same town as you, someone may have interned in NY at the same place you did -- whatever. LA is a "contact" city. I'm asking for this stuff for your benefits, not mine.

3). Here's what I think I know about internship plans. Lauren has an internship with Martin Chase in Burbank; Imade has one with Hidden Beach Recordings in Santa Monica; Margaret has one having to do with staige musicals and Jose may intern with Naalia Entertainment. I'd like the four of you to confirm with me that you have those spots, that they understand no more than 20 hours per week, and provide me with the name and address of your internship coordinator. If you need letters confirming the internship is for course credit, let me know that too, along with a fax or e-mail address.

4). It's my understanding and/or assumption that Tom, Sophomore Mike, Ken, and Clarence all want film production internships, and you all understand that this means primarily doing script coverage. I am also assuming that each of you are looking for the right fit for you, as I've suggested, and have posted. If you want more help that this, let me know.

5). It's also my understanding that Senior Mike and Tiffany both want financial internships. Is this correct? Is there any more info each of you want to give me so I can alert alums who may be of assistance on this more specific type of position?

6). Christine and Kimberly also want to work in music, talent representation?


That's about all I know. My philosophy is that you can get great internships on your own -- each of you are obviously resourceful and ambitious, but sometimes it doesn't hurt to let people know what you're looking for so give me more info on all of the above. Thanks.

4 comments:

Jose Ho-Guanipa said...

I wouldn't count on that Hype Williams internship just yet. I sent in my resume to them and I'm still waiting back to hear from them. Apparently they're very hard to track down. If anyone can find any other possible internships with hip-hop video directors that would be great.

Tiffany said...

Yes I'm definitely looking for a financial internship.

Kimberly said...

I'm a little all over the place with where I'm applying. The large talent agencies and a few boutique firms. Some PR stuff and some of the big record companies. The boutique firms seem to be more invested in helping interns learn than the big names. I really like the companies that have their feet in more than one pool in the industry (Anonymous, MOSAIC) because I'd get a chance to work in each department and see a lot more.

Kimberly said...

Oh and do you normally plan fieldtrips during Spring Break? I'm debating whether or not I want to solidify other plans.