Monday, November 05, 2007

Mike Wagner

1) Film: I really like the dark comedy. Sometimes I look for humor in things that probably are not even intended to be that funny. But actually, I enjoy many types of films.

Of 2007 to date, I've really liked (in no particular order): Hairspray, American Gangster, Michael Clayton, The Bourne Ultimatum, Knocked Up, The Namesake, The Hoax, and Death At A Funeral.

2) Television: I am strongly in favor of it.

-Weeds: My absolute favorite right now, though I thought Seasons 1 & 2 were perhaps a bit better. Still, I think it's the funniest and darkest comedy on TV.

-Damages: The first season, which just ended, was really incredible.

-How I Met Your Mother - In my opinion, this is clearly the single most underrated show on TV right now. It's the only multi-camera sitcom with a broad laugh track that I can still sit through; despite the old formula, each episode is hilariously original.

I also really like The Office, The Riches, Entourage, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, 30 Rock, and Californication. Luckily most of these are on cable, and run in the summer or off season, so I don't have to watch 90 shows a week. With the Writer's Strike I guess I'll be down to zero pretty soon anyway.

3 & 4) I can't say I was ever into Comics or Games.

5) Music - I would not call myself a connoisseur of music. Beyond the fact that I listen to it, there's not much I can say. I like all different types really, though I can't say I listen to much country or rap. Mostly i use my iPod when I'm running or on a plane, so I pick my songs accordingly. I've never used my car's CD player. I enjoy the radio; it adds a little suspense.

6) Sports - I really enjoy college basketball. If I have time, I'll watch pretty much any game that's on--especially if it's down to the wire. I like that the season's only about four months long; it makes me more inclined to follow it closely. While I enjoy the NBA and also Baseball, I have absolutely no patience to watch these sports for the durations of their seasons. I'll often watch the playoffs; in the case of the NBA, they feel like a whole season in and of themselves.

7) Art - Art is something that I have enormous respect for, even though I lack the slightest trace of ability to produce any semblance of it. I live in upstate New York, and fortunately, I've had a chance to check out some of the city's museums over the years. The Guggenheim may be my favorite. I really enjoy French impressionism, but I also like more recent stuff. I really like Norman Rockwell and Andy Warhol--not that they're that similar, but I find them both quite interesting. The strangest (one of the coolest, though) exhibit that I've ever seen was by Nam June Paik at the Guggenheim. This guy does really crazy things with television sets, turning them into artistic fish tanks and other bizarre things.

8) Other Interests - I'm really into computers. Besides FVD, I'm also doing the ISIS Certificate. If I can be of assistance with the graphic design project, I will. I can't say that I'm an expert with graphics, but I'm pretty good all around. I've designed and maintained websites for people in the past. I also really like my dogs, whom I will miss immensely when I'm in Los Angeles, but I miss them now as well. I have two Labrador Retrievers, Cocoa and Roxie.

9) Anime/Cartoons - I can't say I've ever been into them. This is OK, though. I definitely watch my share of TV.

-Mike

3 comments:

Jim Thompson said...

At least we have TV. I like How I Met your Mother, but am watching Chuck this season instead.Liked the Riches a lot too.

So I'm curious -- you weren't into cartoons even when you were a kid? No Scooby-Doo, where are you? No Simpsons phase as a teenager?

Mike Wagner said...

When I was little, I watched cartoons occasionally. Nothing all that popular, though. I think I was into "Tiny Toons" quite a bit. At least we have TV? You weren't into any of those movies? I like Chuck as well, by the way.

Jim Thompson said...

Didn't mean to ignore current films, but I haven't seen Am. Gangster yet. No plans to see Hairspray -- saw no reason to remake it, liked the first version. Thought Knocked Up was very good, although not quite 40 yr old virgin. Overall, and this is ironic given our cartoon discussion, but my favorite films this year have been animated, specifically Ratatouille, and Paprika (liked the Simpsons movie too) But thought Spider-man 3 was disappointing, as was 3:10 to Yuma. I just saw the new Wes Anderson film though while in Durham and loved it. Now that's a dark comedy.