Thursday, November 08, 2007

Internship Info tips

Several of you already have your internships selected -- most of you do not. That's exactly the way it should be at this point so no worries, grasshoppers.
If you are having any difficulties proceeding on your own, working with the careers people on campus is an excellent resource. Also click the category "internships" on the blog, and scroll down to some of last year's postings -- you may find something interesting there.
Here's a website that posts lots of LA internships on a regular basis. Also, even though we just talked, it's a good idea to e-mail me directly, telling me as specifically as possible what kind of internship you are looking for. That way I can easily forward it to people as opportunities arise. Including a resume with that e-mail is even better.

Finally, there's what I suggested in the office, which is pick films you like as a starting point (This primarily applies to film production internships). So let's say you just saw American Gangster and it "moved" you. I would then go to IMDB (Internet Movie Database) and type in American Gangster under search. Once there, go to the left and under overview, click company credits. Looking under Production Companies, I see four, ranging from Universal to Scott Free productions. I'm curious so I click Scott Free productions. I see all of the other films and the one TV show that they produced and I'm impressed. Unfortunately imdb wants me to be a pro in order to give me more info. Instead, I google the name on my own to see if they have a website. I don't see one, so I go to a site like VisualNet and search for Scott Free. That at least gives me an address and a phone number. I can at least call and find out more, but let me play oin the internet a bit more first. I'll try wikipedia -- No luck (but it often helps). Then go to Variety
and type in "Scott Free productions" -- that will guide you to all articles written about the company. Do the same with the Hollywood Reporter
Now the next step is to e-mail me and say, hey what about Scott Free? I would then tell you that I had a student there last year and I would recommend it. At that point, once you have again confirmed that there is no official website with internship info, you call them and explain who you are, when you will be here, that this would be for class credit and ask what you could do to be considered for the position. Have your resume done. If they ask for you to email it then, you don't want to say you have to prepare one.
FURTHER ADVICE: Lots of internships don't want to commit until they personally interview you. That's fine and can even work to your advantage. Unless it's a dream internship for you, it's better to avoid outright commitment until you have an opportunity to see the operation too, and to talk to other interns there.

Anyway, those are my tips. Keep me posted.

Master Po: [after easily defeating the boy in combat] Ha, ha, never assume because a man has no eyes he cannot see. Close your eyes. What do you hear?
Young Caine: I hear the water, I hear the birds.
Master Po: Do you hear your own heartbeat?
Young Caine: No.
Master Po: Do you hear the grasshopper that is at your feet?
Young Caine: [looking down and seeing the insect] Old man, how is it that you hear these things?
Master Po: Young man, how is it that you do not?

No comments: